1. Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.
2. Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back
(Exception: player who takes snap.)
3. No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating
a three-point stance.
4. No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.
5. No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after
assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe
snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard
of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt
to cause the offense to false start.
6. If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the
defensive captain after player has reported to him.
7. All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except
one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward
8. After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come
to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands,
feet, head, or swaying of body.
9. Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards)
if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent
10. Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.
SOME OF THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS OBTAINED FROM NFL.COM,
WHO IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH NFLTEAMHISTORY.com
This site has been designed to further promote NFL football. For more
information please visit NFL.com
NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National
The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of
the teams indicated.